Signs and Symptoms
Medical News
Fast Facts
Personal Stories
Food for Thought
Other Websites
About Us
Personal Stories
Want to share an inspirational experience?
Let us know.
We'd love to hear from you.


Trevor G.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 2 years ago and started commuting to work by bike. I have lost 60 pounds and am medication free, but still have high early morning glucose. I count carbs and saturated fat.
If even one person can be saved some anxiety (or worse) because of my experience then so much the better

If you would like to contact Trevor, please email us at info@syndromexassoc.org and put Trevor G in the subject.

My Story--- Fred


From my early teens the ongoing battle with weight began. I started to notice a difficulty buying clothes that fit. My parents took me to the doctor, but he was no help. I never liked gym, and organized sports were not for me. By the time I was in my early 20’s  I was 200 pounds and rising.

I bought a treadmill, but gained so much weight that I exceeded the limit and the motor kept stopping. I bought a commercial treadmill, continuing to gain..

I developed sleep apnea and had surgery to correct it, but it was not successful. When I went back to the doctor he said “Lose weight”. I tried, but nothing worked.

My allergies and sinus troubles increased, which made sleeping difficult. I was exhausted. The last thing that I wanted to do was exercise.

I’m a small business owner and stress is high. I hired a secretary to help, but because I couldn’t put in a whole day’s work (usually only 4-6 hours a day), I was afraid that she would quit. So I drank a pot of coffee in the morning and thought how lucky it was that I didn’t work for someone else because I would have been fired for missing so much work.

I tried the Atkins diet and lost 35 pounds in the first 4 months.. I felt better that I had in years. Slowly, I began to increase my carbohydrates. Then I stopped losing weight.

I read about Syndrome X in the newspaper, and after seeing the symptoms concluded that this must be my problem. After attending a support group meeting, I went to my doctor and insisted that he test my fasting insulin. It was 34-more than 3 times the normal amount!

I’m back on a low carbohydrate diet and feel better with more energy. Now I can finally put in a full day’s work.  As I continue to lose weight, I know that exercise will be easier and I’ll feel even better.



My Story

 By Vicky


I had always been thin and healthy, but, in 1994, things began changing for the worse. My mother was dying from diabetes complications, my father was diagnosed terminally ill with lung cancer, and my husband and I had just divorced.


With all of the stress, I began to become physically ill. I developed gastric problems, asthma, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, blurred vision, high blood pressure, and hypothyroidism. Despite treatment and medication, I still felt bad and I began to experience the problem of steady weight gain. I looked everywhere for help. I spent thousands of dollars trying to get well and lose weight. Doctors behaved as though it was all in my head and I was just lazy and ate too much!


To control my asthma, I took 60mg of prednisone daily for months at a time. I became too depressing for others to be around. I had ballooned to 243 lbs. and was morbidly obese. I had lost all hope of ever getting well.


My husband (we had reunited) called one day from work and said that he had seen an article in the Akron Beacon Journal about Syndrome X and added, “I think you have this”. While I was talking to him, a beep came over the phone. It was a friend calling to tell me about the same article!


We went to the first meeting and I met with the doctor the very next day. After being tested, I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance. Finally I knew what my medical problems were and it wasn’t my fault.


Since February, I have lost 40 lbs. and can do all of my daily chores with energy to spare. My blood pressure and fibromyalgia are improving. I know that I’ve postponed the onset of the diabetes that affected my mother, and I have the hope of living a long, healthy life with my family. Life is good!


Living Large Hawaiian Style


            My recent trip to Hawaii for my daughter and son-in-law’s 5th wedding anniversary reunion was made more interesting by my diagnosis of insulin resistance.
 In Hawaii, every meal comes with 2 scoops of rice and a large scoop of macaroni salad. Even McDonald’s breakfast comes with rice! 

            My biggest challenge came when I went to a Japanese Seafood Buffet. Although I ate plenty of crab, the sushi was too irresistible (for those of you  who may not know, many sushi rolls are made with fully cooked ingredients). But sushi is also made with rice, and I misjudged my ability to sample it. At first I was light headed. Then I started to get hot. Finally I became so nauseous that I thought I would need medical attention. After about 20 minutes, the symptoms began to subside and I could leave the restaurant sadder, but wiser.
Not all of the experiences were bad. I actually wore a bathing suit, sat on the beach, and eventually swam in the ocean. I even got a tan! My energy allowed me to keep up with sightseeing, shopping and playing with my 3 year old granddaughter. I made better choices with my food, and enjoyed the times with my family. Not bad for a slow learning grandmother.

The information provided on this website is intended for your general knowledge only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified health professional. Please contact your health care provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition.